For nearly a century, companies that wanted to keep a shareholder proposal off the annual meeting ballot had a predictable escape hatch: write to the Securities and Exchange Commission's Division of Corporation Finance, cite one of thirteen permitted grounds for exclusion, and wait for a "no-action letter" signaling the staff would not recommend enforcement if the proposal were dropped. As of August 14, 2026, that escape hatch is gone. The Division told companies it will no longer respond to no-action requests under Rule 14a-8 "without exception," ending even the narrow review it had preserved for state-law objections since a November 17, 2025 policy shift, according to a client advisory from law firm Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner. The rule itself has not changed. What has changed is who decides whether a proposal survives.
Rule 14a-8, codified at 17 C.F.R. 240.14a-8, is the mechanism that lets an individual shareholder force a vote on a matter management would rather not put to the floor — executive pay clawbacks, board diversity reporting, political spending disclosure, climate targets. The rule sets three alternative ownership thresholds for eligibility: at least $2,000 in market value of voting securities held continuously for three years, at least $15,000 held for two years, or at least $25,000 held for one year, according to the rule's text as published in the electronic Code of Federal Regulations. A proposal must also arrive early — generally no less than 120 calendar days before the anniversary of the prior year's proxy statement — and the proposal plus any supporting statement is capped at 500 words, a limit the SEC enforces strictly regardless of a shareholder's underlying grievance. Companies, in turn, must publish the proposal in their proxy statement and let shareholders vote on it unless a recognized exclusion applies; the rule does not require the board to adopt whatever the proposal asks for, only to let shareholders weigh in.
Eligibility and length are the easy parts. The harder question, historically litigated through the no-action process, is whether a proposal falls into one of the rule's thirteen exclusion categories. Companies could argue a proposal was not a proper subject for shareholder action under state law, that it would require the company to violate a law, that it related to the company's ordinary business operations, that it duplicated another shareholder's proposal, that it had already been substantially implemented, or that a similar proposal had failed to win enough support in a recent prior vote, among other grounds set out in the eCFR text of the rule. Before this year, a company that believed a proposal met one of these grounds would submit its reasoning to Corporation Finance staff, the proponent would typically respond, and the staff would issue an informal letter stating whether it would recommend enforcement action if the company omitted the proposal. That letter was not binding law, but in practice it functioned as the industry's settlement mechanism — companies rarely omitted a proposal without one, and shareholder proponents rarely sued over an unfavorable letter.
The Division began dismantling that mechanism in stages. Its November 17, 2025 announcement said it would limit substantive no-action responses to exclusion requests citing Rule 14a-8(i)(1) — the proper-subject-under-state-law ground — while declining to weigh in on the other twelve categories, pointing companies instead to the existing body of staff guidance and prior letters. The August 14, 2026 notice closed even that remaining channel and eliminated the informal "non-objection" letters some companies had used for procedural comfort. The agency's stated rationale, per the same advisory, is a shift of staff resources toward "statutorily required" filing reviews meant to protect investors and facilitate capital formation, on the view that decades of accumulated guidance already give companies and proponents enough to interpret the rule on their own.
What replaces the letter is a notice-and-certify procedure. A company that wants to exclude a shareholder proposal must file an informational notice with the SEC — and serve the shareholder-proponent — no later than 80 calendar days before it files its definitive proxy materials, using the agency's online Shareholder Proposal Form, according to the SEC's own guidance page on shareholder proposals. The notice must state the company's reasons for believing exclusion is proper and include what the Division now calls "an unqualified representation that the company has a reasonable basis to exclude the proposal." No staff member reviews that representation before the company acts on it. The company decides, certifies, and omits the proposal at its own risk — with the proponent's principal recourse now a lawsuit rather than an appeal to Corporation Finance, according to Bryan Cave Leighton Paisner's summary of the change.
That shift moves real exposure onto both sides of the table. A company that omits a proposal on a debatable reading of "ordinary business operations" or "substantial implementation" no longer has a staff letter to point to if a proponent sues in federal court; it has only its own certification and whatever internal legal analysis backs it. A shareholder-proponent who believes an omission was improper no longer has a fast, informal review to seek — litigation is slower and costlier for a party often holding a comparatively small stake. Governance lawyers advising companies through the 2026 proxy season are, per the same advisory, counseling more conservative exclusion decisions and better-documented legal opinions before a company certifies an exclusion, precisely because the old informal check against overreach is no longer available.
For shareholder-proponents, the practical effect is that the value of a well-drafted proposal now matters even more than it did a year ago. A proposal written tightly to a single, clearly material governance question — rather than a broad policy demand that brushes against ordinary business operations — is harder for a company to certify as excludable without an obvious legal basis, and harder for a court to view as an improper omission if the fight ends up in litigation. Proponents who previously relied on the informal back-and-forth of the no-action process to narrow or clarify a proposal before a company acted no longer have that option; the first formal signal a proponent gets that a company intends to exclude a proposal may now be the 80-day notice itself, filed on the SEC's public form, with no intermediate step to negotiate language before the company certifies its position.
The proposal process itself — thresholds, deadlines, the 500-word cap, the thirteen exclusion categories — remains exactly as written in the rule. What has moved is where a disputed judgment call gets resolved: from a federal regulator's letter to each company's own certified legal position, tested only if a shareholder is willing to go to court.
For a related business news perspective, read How SEC Investigations Move From Inquiry to Enforcement Action.
For more context, read How a Delaware Derivative Suit Actually Works, Step by Step.
